Disney’s Monstober back again; Fans get ready for Halloween marathon

LEIGHA MACBURNEY, Reporter

When a haunted attraction is too much of a scare consider curling up with a cup of apple cider to watch some of Disney’s Monstober. This annual series started-on October 2 with movies playing for a nighttime fright. 

Lots of channels play Halloween movies nightly but none of them play Disney. Disney creates movies that can be fun for the whole family stated by imdb.com,  giving kids and teens time to simply spend time relaxing with their friends or family.  

Disney takes a haunted twist every October with Halloween movies and a scary twists on a few of their shows.  According to halloweenmoviesontv.com this tradition started in 2005 but was called  HauntoberFest at that time. In 2008 that name was changed to Wiz-tober but in 2012 it was once again renamed again to Monstober. 

Halloweenmoviesontv.com also mentioned that Monstober will consist of Hotel Transylvania, Monsters, Inc., Zombies, Goosebumps, Trolls, Spookley the Square Pumpkin, and Disney Hall of Villains. These movies will be aired at night throughout the month of October, but this list is still in the process of being made. 

According to freshmen Wyatt Ralph, they air new and old Halloween movies that are beginning to be directed toward the younger audience. This has caused him to lose interest in watching this Disney series as he got older but not everyone has.

Both senior Zoe Finholm and junior, Trinity Testerman stated that a month dedicated to Halloween themed stuff can be a great time. Testerman mentioned that “a whole month of spooky fun movies, nothing beats that”. Finholm loves to sit down to watch two of her favorite Halloween movies- Halloweentown and Hocus Pocus.

Although these movies are not currently on the schedule for Disney’s Monstober they are still a few of Disney’s Halloween classics. According to Finholm Disney’s Monstober in the past was so much better than it is now. She believes that the change is helping them target the right group which benefits the company but that it is defeating all of the memories. 

According to John Frost from thedisneyblog.com this spooky Disney makeover is a time for a few of the TV shows to come out with new Halloween-themed episodes. He also added that Disney plays a lot of their fan favorite movies like a few of Finholm’s favorites. 

As Disney changes over the years it will lose and gain a new audience, but one thing is for sure, a Halloween Disney classic will bring the memories from the past back and make you feel like a child again stated Emily Kron, a junior at Havre de Grace High. She added that Disney can bring as all together no matter the age. 

Take a second, or hours, to consider Disney’s Monstober for a night to satisfy the Halloween movie crave.