Big Mouth releases new season; Hype around raunchy animated series

Kensington Boyanich, News Editor

The ever-popular Netflix original series Big Mouth came out with its season 4 on Dec. 4. According to IMDB, the show is summarized as, “teenage friends find their lives upended by the wonders and horrors of puberty.” 

With a cast including Nick Kroll, John Mulaney, and Jessi Klein this original animated comedy has received an 8/10 by IMDB critics. Netflix describes its original as, “raunchy, witty, quirky, and irreverent.”

With the first season being released in September of 2017, the show has continued to release a new season every year since. Winning one Primetime Emmy in Outstanding Character Voice-Over Performance in 2020, the show has gotten some attention. The show covers topics about gay relationships and coming out, sexual intercourse, the menstrual cycle, and many of the other things that come with going through puberty. It also looks at relationships between characters whether romantic or just friendships and how to deal with them and the stress they can bring. 

Students at North Harford have started the new season and have lots to say about it. Sophomore Michael Allen recently finished the fourth season of the show. “I started watching it because my friend told me about it. My friend told me that it was funny and about exaggerated puberty problems. I liked it because it exaggerated teenage life and how people deal with problems and it used jokes and metaphors to get its point across. I would recommend it to people because it also shows people the problems teens go through and how teenage life today isn’t as easy as it used to be.” 

Sophomore Sierra McManus also watched the recent season of the show. “I love watching animations like it, plus the humor is my favorite. It’s about a bunch of kids with their middle school problems.” She added that  “Each kid has their personality and hormone monster. The hormone monsters help them with advice, puberty, insecurities, love life, and even family issues. I would highly recommend it to others but only mature audiences only.” Sophomore Zane Kraus says that “I liked Big Mouth because it’s funny and made me laugh. I would recommend it to others if that is the type of show they like to watch.”

The show is rated MA for mature audiences because of its frequent depictions of sex and nudity and strong language used throughout the show, along with drug use and slight violence. With currently 43 episodes each around 30 minutes each it is an easily bingeable tv series. Critics talk about this being the “new animation for adults,” saying how it, “explores the good, the bad, and the very ugly aspects of adolescence, this time with a healthy dose of meta-commentary.”