Teen hearing loss from loud noises How to regulate excessive noise levels

Delaney O'Neil, Reporter

As technology advances and new ways for listening to music enhance, study’s show that hearing loss is present in teens and young adults. Over 1.1 billion individuals in this age range are exposed to excessive noise levels from audio devices, according to Tru-Tone Hearing Aid Centers. 

The World Health Organization’s hearing loss study indicates that half of teens and young adults ages 12-35, are exposed to unsafe levels of sound. Within this age group, 40% of these people hear hazardous sounds from concerts, entertainment venues, and sporting events. 

The study concluded that intense levels of sound at 100 decibels are not safe for longer than 15 minutes. The level that is recommended is 85 decibels and below. 

Mrs. Joanne Dorsey, North Harford’s school nurse, indicates many factors can contribute to hearing loss in teens. Dorsey says, “excessive ear wax, sinus infections, certain medicines, and loud noises can cause permanent damage to the bones of the middle ear or nerves of the inner ear.” Long-term exposure to loud noises stems from loud noises, jobs where loud noises are apart from the daily environment, loud machines and vehicles, and sudden blasts of noise, according to Dorsey. 

From a student’s perspective, junior Riley Stewart says “we listen to music really in our earbuds at really high volumes.” Junior Brianna Walker goes on to say, “you get used to the loudness and continue to turn it up more and more.” Since upperclassmen are able to drive, Junior Jenna Amerhein says, “they blare their music when they are alone or with friends, especially when they just get their license.”

Language teacher, Mrs. Mary Capellan says, “I think earbuds do some damage. I have talked to teens who have experienced ringing in their ears, and this has not been a problem before the earbuds.” Regarding earbuds, Dorsey says, “earbuds do not cause hearing problems, but listening to music at high volumes can cause hearing loss.”

Unfortunately, once hearing loss occurs it is usually permanent because of damage to the middle or inner ear, according to Dorsey. To prevent hearing damage, students can “limit exposure to loud noise and music for both intensity and duration. Also, follow the 60/60 rule, which is listening to 60% of the volume for no more than 60 minutes,” says Dorsey. 

Furthermore, be aware that medications such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and antibiotics can cause hearing loss if not taken as directed. Even poking something into the ear, such as cotton-tipped swabs, can result in a ruptured eardrum, according to Dorsey. 

According to the American Osteopathic Association, 1-5 teens will experience some form of hearing loss. The rate has increased 30% with the escalation of earbud use. Photo Credits: The National Poll on Women’s Health