Presley pins radio career; Alumni advises students

BETHANY BIRCHFIELD, News Editor

Alumni Alec Presley graduated from North Harford High School in 2014. In high school the graduate was involved in drama, as well as black box performances and musicals. He was a lead in his senior year where he played  the preacher in the musical Footloose.. He has now gone on to pursue voiceover work and radio.

On September 19,  Presley came back to his roots and spoke in front of NH drama classes about his budding career and love for his new found work.

After graduating high school Presley attended The Sheffield Institute for the Recording Arts in Phoenix, MD. The typical full-time class for the audio engineering course (which is the one Presley attended) is around four days a week, four hours per day, for about 23 to 25 weeks.

With the help of teachers and faculty students are able to find careers that best suit them a successful future. Presley is currently working for iheartradio as a promotion assistant where he does office work and events.

Presley stated, “We go to state fairs, and county fairs. We’ll do Sunday in the country this weekend, and concerts at the Royal Farms Arena where we go and set up a tent and some flags with some banners that say iheartradio.”

Presley has also been working as a board operator which he admits is “way more intricate than promotions is and it’s also the way that you’ll get to where you want to be in legitimate broadcasting.”

The graduate admitted that there are perks to his job. For example, he gets into concerts for free and has the opportunity to meet accomplished artists. Presley explained that he’s met a handful of famous people.

He said, “Liam and Niall both stopped in and I was like ‘Hey what’s goin on?’.”  Presley went on to mention that he also met Max Schneider when he came into the studio.

He states, “He [Max] is incredibly talented. You hear mainstream singers like Justin Bieber and Katy Perry, but they’re not gonna sound the same. This guy sounds exactly like his studio recording when he’s just standing in front of you singing.”

Presley actually got the opportunity to interact with the hit singer Andy Grammer over the radio. The guy who runs the radio station asked Presley to interview Grammer for ten minutes, and he accepted.

Drama teacher Nancy Green asked her former student if he had any advice for the students in her class and he said, “While you guys are in school definitely pay attention to everything. The sort of stuff that you’re learning right now is going to help you.”