Club promotes Red Ribbon Week

BETHANY BIRCHFIELD, News Editor

Red Ribbon Week has been celebrated since 1988 and it’s goal is to educate youth and encourage safe drug free practices in the month of October. Special Agent Camarena was on the trail of a big drug bust in Mexico when he was kidnapped, tortured and then murdered by a drug trafficker. His death brought awareness to the drug epidemic throughout the world.

North Harford celebrated Red Ribbon Week by having students voluntarily sign a pledge stating that they are drug free and proud to be. In exchange for their signature they received a red ribbon signifying their drug free lifestyle.

This year’s student created Red Ribbon Week theme was: “Your future is key, so stay drug free”. According to redribbon.org teens whose parents communicate with them about drugs are 42% less likely to use drugs than those who don’t.

Spanish teacher and STARS advisor Lori Rake, commented on why NHHS celebrates Red Ribbon Week. She explained, “It honors the memory of Agent Camarena. He died fighting the drug war and it’s such a huge problem in Harford County and York County.”

Rake believes it’s important to draw attention to the drug epidemic. She added, “People are dying every day because of poor choices.”

STARS is hoping to get more activities planned throughout the school year and around Christmas time for students. The club also hopes to revive Ghost Day this year around prom to promote safe decision making and drug and alcohol prevention.

STARS member Michael Frontera spoke about the week stating, “We got a lot of signatures… I just hope people are participating in it to actually participate.”

Frontera also reported, “I think everybody should take a look at what STARS is doing because we’re actually trying to be something in this school, not just a club that people join to have a club.”

Rake commented on the tendency of high schoolers concluding, “I know there are so many more people that don’t do drugs and alcohol but they know that [signing the pledge] is not a cool thing to do. That’s the hard part… it’s hard as a teenager because sometimes doing what’s right isn’t what’s cool or easy.”