FFA succeeds at state meet, heads to Oklahoma for Nationals

MARIA KROPKOWSKI, IDR Editor

The North Harford FFA land judging group participated in the state competition on October 20 near the Eastern Shore. At this competition, the team individually judged land on its qualities of soils and measured things such as erosion, permeability, texture, and if you could build a house on it. This year’s team consisted of students, Brennan Stewart, David Murrell, John Harris, and Mike Reeves
Now they are able to move on to the national competition, which takes place in early spring in Oklahoma. According to Murrell, a sophomore, the competition takes a lot of focus, time, energy, and research. Murrell received third in land judging and second in home sight.
The team reports working well together and especially enjoying each other’s company. Junior Mike Reeves’s favorite part was “being a part of an awesome team,” and Murrell’s favorite part was “the experience itself and going to new places and making new friends.”
Stewart was inspired to join FFA and the judging team specifically, because of his interest and connection with agriculture. Stewart “knew in this club [he] could express that interest more.” He decided to do land judging because it can help him get an idea for a career in natural resources when he’s older, specifically with soil. Last year Stewart received second in land judging and third in home sight, and this year his score decreased as he received fifth in one section and eleventh in the other.
The road to Oklahoma will take much preparation on the parts of the FFA organization and the team itself. Members will have to study up on their material to be sure they are in top shape for the national competition. Member of the team, John Harris is most looking forward to have lots of laughs on the trip to the competition.
The four members took on the role of competing under supervision of last year’s team member, senior Aubrey Williams. They all decided to form this year’s land judging team at the recommendation of Agriculture teacher, Erika Edwards.
The team is thankful for their time together and all they have learned. According to John Harris, because of the opportunities presented to him in FFA, he “almost feels like a part of a second family [and] they are very friendly and open.”