NHS inducts new members in ceremony

Lauren Seco, OP/ED Editor

With new National Honors Society inductions coming our way, students are excitedly preparing for this experience.

Junior Hannah Smith, a soon-to-be National Honors Society member, describes her experience to get where she is now.  “I received a packet in the mail saying I was eligible for National Honors Society, and I realized that I met all the point and volunteer hour requirements.”

Smith volunteers at Jarrettsville Recreation Complex and Upper Chesapeake Medical Center. At the Jarrettsville Recreation Complex, the student realized that her “knowledge of sports that [she] bring[s] to the players can benefit the girls to help better their play.” While working at the hospital, she learned, “in the chemo center and oncology department that eventually [she] would like to pursue a medical career in oncology.” After realizing she met all the requirements, Smith busily collected all the necessary signatures from her clubs, sports, and volunteer services.

After turning in the application she found out she was accepted at the beginning of October through a “letter in the mail.” She is most excited to “help tutor kids who need extra help in their classes.”

Junior Zach Demos, also a soon-to-be National Honors Society member, also, “received the induction letter in the mail and felt that all [his] hard work so far is starting to pay off.” Demos is excited to “meet new people who also have high academic goals. NHS can also boost [his] resume and may help with getting a job or scholarships in the future.” He also wants to “help others who need it.”

For his volunteer hours, he worked mostly through “Boy Scouts with Eagle projects and Cub Scout Day Camp,” but also as a library volunteer for the past few years. Through these experiences, he has gained leadership skills, time management, organizational skills, and perseverance.

Senior Lynne Thomas remembers her induction and recalls she was “escorted onto the stage and we signed our names into the book of members. We lit a candle to remind us about the 5 pillars of the society. We did a pledge and became members.” To volunteer for the National Honors Society, Thomas works through her church, 4-H, and FFA events. While going through these experiences, the student has learned about “how it is rewarding to give back to others.”

After a year of being a member of the National Honors Society, Thomas believes the “most challenging part is balancing all the other activities [she does] with tutoring.” She recommends that the inductees should “always keep a calendar and to enjoy your year!”

Senior Will Eakes shares experience of being inducted by saying that everyone “dressed up all nice and walked in the auditorium prestigiously.” After listening to several speeches, the students were “called on stage one by one to be honored for our work.” The students received their cords and candles, so parents could come up and take pictures as “we tried not to burn the hair of the kids standing in front of us.”

For the National Honors Society, Wakes volunteers at “soup kitchens, foster care events, church events, and road cleanup events.” Through this he has learned the importance of giving back to the community and helping others.

The student believes that a challenge of the club would include that “it’s tough to miss practices for tutoring.” Advice he would like to give would include to “stay on top of your tutoring and volunteer hours because if you don’t get enough you get kicked out.”