Soon-to-be graduates prepare for Senior Picnic, Baccalaureate, Senior Awards

LAUREN SECO, OP/ED Editor

Soon North Harford will be waving goodbye to its seniors, but before they go, there are lots of opportunities to celebrate their time at The Nest.

The Senior Picnic, Baccalaureate, and Senior Awards all take place in May.

Senior Sophia Plate describes the picnic coming up at Rocks as a “bunch of food” and an all around exciting time because “all my [her] friends are going, so it’ll be fun.” The graduating student can’t wait for these events and is planning to attend every single one of them as a “last hurrah before graduation” and beginning her next step into college life.  

Plate also includes that baccalaureate is a religious ceremony, honoring the graduates for their accomplishment of finishing high school. She is looking forward to the event, and hopes that a bunch of people will attend.

The student also goes into detail describing the awards ceremony stating there are “announcements for the scholarships and accomplishments of the seniors, and there are speeches.” Plate is excited for every single event and wants to absorb everything before she leaves North Harford for her college experience.

Senior Hunter Meisz is also planning to attend the baccalaureate and senior awards. She is “excited that my [her] high school career is coming to an end. It was fun and stressful, but in the end all the hard work is worth it. I’m [she’s] glad that the senior awards recognizes students accomplishments.” Meisz adds that various students receive awards and that many students have the opportunity to accept them.

Senior Chris Robinson is attending the Senior Picnic and the Senior Awards. The student describes the picnic as a “big block party.” Robinson goes on to say that “there’s supposed to be swimming and volleyball and stuff like that.” As for food options he states there may be “pit beef and ice cream.” He is most excited for the picnic because  it “will be nice to relax and have some fun right before everyone goes their separate ways.”

Senior Will Eakes is attending the Senior Picnic, Baccalaureate, and Senior Awards. During the picnic, “all the seniors are going to hang out together one last time before we graduate and part ways.” He also goes on to describe the Baccalaureate saying, “the seniors all wear their cap and gowns and there’s a speaker and a prayer and usually a student performer.” He describes it saying, “it’s like a spiritual ceremony.”

Eakes also states that during the awards, “the seniors are recognized for their hard work in high school, the salutatorian gives a speech, and scholarships are presented to the winners.”

Senior Lynne Thomas is excited to go to the Senior Picnic, Baccalaureate, and Senior Awards saying she is happy because “I [she] gets to spend time with my [her] friends at the picnic.” Thomas also includes that she believes all of her friends are excited as well “to see where our futures lead us since we all are going to different colleges in the fall.”

Thomas also adds that she is most looking forward to the picnic because “that is the last day the class will be together and it is also relaxing and fun!”