Agriculture department hosts annual plant sale; First day sales hit record high

GREER STRINE, Reporter

The annual plant sale has brought the Agriculture Department success and a new learning
experience for students participating in the event. Ag. students work at the sale in order to further
their knowledge.
Many freshmen involved within the Ag. program have a new opportunity to work at the plant sale
that occurs in the spring. These students are currently in North Harford’s NRAS classes and are
being introduced into the world of Agriculture. Even if their chosen strand isn’t plants, their
knowledge continued to further as they learn how to properly take care of plants.
Freshmen Beverly Bigelow and Teagan Flaherty both participated in their first plant sale this year
and were brought into the world of plant sales at North Harford. “I only worked for two hours, but it
was fun to work and talk to a lot of nice people,” stated Bigelow. According to Flaherty, “Working at
the plant sale was probably one of the most enjoyable volunteer events I’ve ever worked at.”
Every year the students sell for around eight days and they are open for business at the North
Harford Rec Council’s opening day for sports, to hopefully draw in some more attention from
parents and attract anyone wishing to purchase plants to spruce up their gardens.
Agriculture teacher Erika Edwards helped the students to prepare and work the sale this year.
“Opening day is definitely the busiest. We had customers non-stop form open to close,” according to
Edwards. “One major accomplishment was our opening day record sales. This by far was the most
successful plant sale we have had over the recent years.”
Parents and families from across Harford County stop by the North Harford greenhouse to
purchase new plants hoping to improve their gardens at home. The wide variety and care by our
very own students are what draws in the crowd for the sale each year. “We were able to reach a lot of
community members through our Facebook page NHHS Agriculture,” Edwards stated.
Flaherty said she was in FFA and was the chair of Community Service Committee and was willing
to volunteer because the profits would go towards the National Convention trip happening in the
fall. Edwards stated, “New this year students could volunteer at the plant sale to also earn money to
help pay for their trip to the National FFA Convention next fall.”
According to Edwards, “The proceeds help purchase the materials we need to maintain the
program during the next school year and also covers the cost of many of our field trips, so the
students don't have to pay.” Edwards stated that they made $7,000 over the first two days and more
over the course of six more days after the first couple days.
“We also were able to collaborate with the special education department. Their students visit the
greenhouse and help water and sweep. They even got to grow their own marigolds and plant
planters to take home,” according to Edwards. The special education department was able to
participate in the plant sale almost as much as the Ag. students and were able to still help.
The Plant Science students have a huge role in allowing this plant sale to take place each year.
Without their effort and conscientious work habits, the plants wouldn’t be able to sell. Edwards
commented, “Plant science students are the ones who grow and care for the plants. Sophomores
planted and grew the vegetables from seeds, and juniors grew some on the flowers from seed.”