Announcement of fall musical brings excitement to students; Rehearsal begins in September

EVAN KUZEMCHAK ABBY MERSON, Reporters

The fall musical has always been an annual tradition at the Hawks Nest. In the past, North Harford
has produced musicals such as, Bye Bye, Birdie, The Wizard of Oz, and South Pacific.
10 years have passed since NHHS presented the musical ‘Music Man’ and drama teacher Mrs.
Nancy Green and her committee decided to do a revival of their production of ‘Music Man’.
The story takes you along with Harold Hill, a businessman trying to sell instruments and uniforms to the
public. He arrives in River City and his goal was as soon as he earns any money he’ll leave the town. The
librarian, Marian Paroo, suspects that he’s a fraud but she doesn’t say anything because her brother was
excited about the band Harold was starting. He soon finds it hard to skip town, because he starts to
develop feelings for Marian.
Putting together a musical takes a long time according to Green, she mentions that “the
production team is actually going to begin working on it as this year wraps up.” they work throughout
summer to get this musical set and ready for auditions next school year and then to get it set and prepared
for presentation sometime in November.
Sophomore Conor O’Callaghan, who is involved with choral arts and theater, says that “when
you’re doing a musical with people, you feel a part of a group. Everyone comes together to make a huge
project. My favorite part about being in a musical is being able to connect with and meet other people.
In the end you always come out of a musical with at least one new friend.”
O’Callaghan also adds “My favorite musical of all time was probably The Wizard of Oz because it was
my first musical in a long time. It probably holds my top spot, and it also holds a lot of nostalgia factor
from when I was growing up.”
Auditions take place the first week of school in September. To audition Green mentions, you “have to
write an application essay that is a requirement and prepare a monologue and a song.” Unless you want to
work backstage with makeup crew, stage crew, etc. that is a requirement. Green also says “not just your
audition plays a role in audition, the application is very important also.”
Green says she believes “that there is a role in the theater for every single person wants to be
involved” so there are no cuts. Also, fear not fall athletes as Green mentions “we work with our student
athletes to give them the opportunity to balance their schedules and still be a part of the theater
productions too”
Since it is the 10-year revival of ‘Music Man’ the production team noted that they “are inviting
our alumni from 10 years ago to come back and participate in the encore.” Green also states that we
should keep a lookout for a special surprise as the NHHS marching band is going to be making a special
appearance somewhere during the musical.