Virus takes toll on work environments; community, schools deal with changes

Kierstyn McManus, Reporter

Whether it’s going from a part-time job for minors or full-time job for adults to working at home, the outbreak of the coronavirus has had its effects on many, with both positive and negative effects of the change in working environments.

As of mid-March, some have been able to continue working via the Internet, where others have now filed for unemployment, since their business has shut down.

Senior Lexy Smith worked at Off the Beat, a local smoothie bar, before it got shut down for safety precautions, is now jobless. Smith states, “being unemployed gives me stress not being able to get a paycheck because I can’t pay for the things I need.”

Not being able to have an income or receiving a stimulus check as a minor has Smith stating, “it’s not fair because I still have bills to pay and so do others that help their parents.”

Junior Jackie McGowan, former Bob Evans hostess  is also not able to work ever since the virus’ effects. Being unemployed makes it hard for McGowan to “get motivation, especially for school work.” She adds, “not being able to get out of the house takes away my freedom and mental health.”

Those still  working,  like NH principal Bryan Pawlicki, have  been trying to meet  the needs of his  school and staff during this time.

While work is now being sent to students via the Internet, Pawlicki states there are “many benefits to face to face interaction while learning,” but “we are lucky to have the Internet as a resource in this crisis situation.”

Although some may not be able to access the Internet from home, Pawlicki explains “in the process of teachers reaching out to their students we found that actually more than 90 percent of students do have some access at least by cell phone.”

As the drastic working environment changed for many, Pawlicki is still working all day, and he says  a lot of his time is spent in virtual meetings and online.  He adds to keep his mental health stable during this time, he “tries to at least once a day get outside and get some good exercise.”

Many questions surrounding whether schools will reopen during the remainder of the year have been frequently talked about amongst the community, and Pawlicki says “the game plan changes when we get ready for what is next.” He encourages those stuck in their homes to “stay safe and just try to do some learning every day.”