Deputy Blottenberger moves on from SRO position at The Nest

Deputy Blottenberger intends to continue his work in the Harford County Sheriff’s Office. He wished to give back to the community during his time in the SRO position.
PHOTO CREDIT: Harford County Sheriff’s Office

Deputy Blottenberger intends to continue his work in the Harford County Sheriff’s Office. He wished to give back to the community during his time in the SRO position. PHOTO CREDIT: Harford County Sheriff’s Office

Annie Finholm, Reporter

The times, they are a-changin’. The students of North Harford High School not only have to adapt to the new method of learning but must also grow accustomed to the lack of the familiar face belonging to Deputy Blottenberger.  

The adjutant has been of service for 26 years, working in the Sheriff’s Office. Blottenberger spent 22 years as a School Resource Officer (SRO), which he considers a “powerful” experience. During this time period, he discovered that the job is “both challenging and rewarding.”  

By federal definition, an SRO is a career law enforcement officer with sworn authority who is deployed by an employing police department or agency in a community-oriented policing assignment to work in collaboration with one or more schools. However, to this officer, it is much more than completing an assignment, it is about, “building and having positive relationships with students, parents, and staff.” 

Filling his place is Deputy Norman, who has already begun his work at the high school. Although Blottenberger is leaving NHHS, he will remain in the community of Harford County. 

Blottenberger continues his work with the Sheriff’s Office and is currently assigned to the Community Policing Unit despite no longer working as an SRO. This area of law enforcement consists of working with residents to enhance neighborhood safety. This includes resolving conflicts, helping victims, preventing accidents, solving problems, and fighting fear as well as reducing crime through apprehension and enforcement. Those in this area of work perform their jobs locally, which allows the officer a smooth transition from position to position. 

The appointee has always known he was interested in working alongside those in their youth. Blottenberg says, “I made it a point to interact and work with young people in my assigned patrol area while in the patrol division. When the SRO unit was formed, I thought it would be a way to continue my efforts full time.”   

Whilst pondering the times that are to come, Blottenberger says he looks forward to having a, “positive proactive contact with the public” in his new position.  The deputy grew up in the county and has always had, “a desire to help make the community a safer place.” 

When reflecting on his experience in this career, he recalls his most memorable moment as having a student share with him that he saved their life as a direct result of their talking and interaction. Seeing as working with children has always been a goal of his, this moment resides in a special place in his heart. 

The second-in-command wished to experiment with, “the challenge of taking on a new position.”  Although he has decided to retire from the responsibilities this job entitles him to, he says it is possible he could be an SRO again in the future.