Custodian leaves building in tears; North Harford to Florida

Grace Feldbush, Reporter

Mrs. Wilma Evans, North Harford High School’s kindest custodian, is leaving many with tears as she retires after working here for 42 years.  

Evans has worked as a custodian at North Harford High School for over 41 years. “A lot of the kids and faculty members are now good friends of mine, and I will miss them dearly,” Evans says. 

“I will always miss putting on shows, dressing up, making craft books, and going to football and baseball games with other workers because we have made so many good memories doing those things,” Evans states. 

“We used to put on shows, we would get in costume and do scenes and entertain the school which was one of my favorite things about being here,” Evans states. 

“When this job became available I took it, before I took it I was a substitute at North Harford Middle and High School, and I never knew I would be here for so long,” Evans says. 

“Being around all the people and the kids day after day is what made me love my job,” Evans says. She hopes everyone treats the school well when she leaves and has a happy life while she is down in Florida. 

“Her heart really did beat for this school as corny as it sounds,” Mrs. Robin Anderson states. Anderson hopes she can continue to feel as passionate about life as she does in this building and with the people here in the future. “She really is just such a silly person, I will always remember the time she kept calling a futon, a crouton.” Anderson says. 

“Mrs. Wilma would go all out for spirit days, and I am going to miss seeing her dress up days during spirit week,” Mrs. Kimberly Iddings states. Iddings wishes for her to get to spend lots of time with her family in Florida after retirement and to get the relaxation she deserves. “She always knew how to make me laugh, and I will miss her presence in this building,” Anderson says.  

“Her generosity and kindness to the people in the community are what I remember her by,” Mrs. Nancy Green says. Green wishes her enjoyment and love with her grandbabies in the future along with plenty of relaxation.  Green explains that she was always so helpful during the drama performances. 

“No matter where you look, Mrs. Wilma is there with a cheerful attitude all of the time,” Mrs. Lori Rake says. She explains she loved seeing her dedication during spirit week and loved how she was always all in and decked out. “Without Mrs. Wilma in the building there will definitely be an empty feeling for many who were close with her,” Rake states. 

“My favorite memory of Mrs. Wilma is when I walked in on her and Mrs. Robin playing with the drums in the band room,” Mrs. Jeanne Grimmel states. Grimmel says she is going to miss seeing her kind face day after day and she wishes her nothing but happiness.