Haunts at Highland; Senior citizens, community celebrate together

Highland Commons was decorated for Haunts at Highland. Drama club members helped decorate for the event.

Silvia Martinez, Video Editor

On Oct 29 from 6:00 to 8:30 p.m., a free Halloween event hosted by the Mason-Dixon Country and Highland Community Association was underway at the Highland Commons. The event was free and open for everyone, allowing the community to celebrate together.

The event has been held every year since 2017, having originally started as a community give back. Ms. Kelly Rose, program director for the Mason-Dixon Country states she reached out to the North Harford High School Drama Club for helpers and performers, and received a great response. Approximately 30 drama students signed up to volunteer.

“Students will decorate, help run games for the community, and perform in a haunted hallway,” states Mrs. Nancy Green, the Drama Club advisor. Other activities at the event included trunk-n-treat and a costume contest for all ages. The Halloween festivities also featured a live DJ and Highland’s resident ghost, Ms. Wright.

“It’s such a great feeling to see the seniors, kids, and community come together to celebrate Halloween,” comments Rose. Her and the seniors most looked forward to seeing the kids in their costumes, walking through the Haunted Hallway students performed in. Green feels the seniors at Highland will certainly be cheered by “the fun, the costumes, and the presence of such awesome young people.”

Rose believes that the seniors at Highland are also a huge help. They helped decorate, hand out candy, and served food as well. “They are just so happy to see the kids have a great time,” said Rose.

Green notes that the drama community at North Harford has a long standing tradition of working together with Mason Dixon for food drives and helping them with fun events like the Halloween party. She feels that it’s important as individuals, performing groups and clubs like drama, and just in general to “give back to your community and form strong community partnerships for the benefit of all.”

The students that have attended the Halloween parties in the years past love to joke about Ms. Wright making an appearance on the night of the Halloween party, further comments Rose. They also like to dress as her. Green believes the drama students that attended this year had fun scaring the younger attendees.

Festivities will continue at the Highland Commons in the future. Rose and the organizations involved in hosting the Halloween party are planning to have a Tractor Parade on December 4. She hopes that students will attend and help with the tractors, as well as parking.