STARS club outlines for change; Hoping to promote better decision making

Kensington Boyanich, Business Manager

Aside from countless real life bodies in the hallways, NH has recently added the  outlines of bodies on the floor in certain hallways.. Some of these include the pair found in the atrium named ‘Cecelia’ and ‘Aubrie’ , a sign informs readers that Cecelia decided to leave the party with her drunken friend…Cecelia and Aubrie never made it home. 

STARS (Students Taking a Responsible Stand) is the head of this initiative to bring awareness to this issue. President of the club, senior Grant Maxa, says about the club, “we have many events or activities throughout the year. Usually we will have a meeting once a month and during which we discuss plans for the year.”

Maxa said the “Tape the Space,” initiative was supposed to resemble a sudden death in the community. He added that displaying the outlined body and the scenario above it, “shows how the person passed. This shows students what the right thing to do is and the consequences of the bad decisions.”

Some of the bodies have causes of deaths ranging from driving impaired to not wearing your seatbelt. Junior Ava Grabowski, like many students has noticed these outlines, “I think it is important to send these messages to students. It is a very real thing that happens to many people. It makes you stop and think about some of the decisions you make and where you can end up because of them.”

“The STARS club members and I are trying to inform the North Harford community of the risks/dangers of drug use and alcohol use,” states Maxa. Advisor of the club Lori Rake states how, “The students come up with many of the ideas.”

Senior and member of STARS, Violet Kazi says, “We preach anti-drug and alcohol to students. Drugs and alcohol are harmful and should be avoided. We are just trying to get this message across to students and make them think about their choices.”

Maxa talks about the things that can be expected when you join the club, “When joining the STARS club, you are expected to attend monthly meetings, participate and brainstorm events, and participate in the events. Officers of the club take a bigger role by directing the meetings and organizing the events.” Kazi also adds that the club is, “a nice group of students and a great environment to discuss ideas and to help others.”

Junior Sierra Mcmanus has a reaction to the outlines found in the hallways. “I was confused by it at first to be honest. I wasn’t sure why there were outlines of people but once I saw what it was promoting I thought it was a good idea.”