Harmonics singing their way to success; Choir performs at county inaugurations

GABRIELLE MOXHAM, Reporter

Harford County’s fourteenth inaugural ceremony took place Dec. 5 at Harford Community College APG Federal Credit Union Arena in Bel Air.    

According to Sports.yahoo.com Michelle Karczeski entered as the Clerk of the Court, she was the first to be sworn in so that she could then swear in the other members. Bob Cassily was sworn in Monday, Dec. 5 as the Harford County executive. The Harford County Board of Education was sworn in during a public meeting also on the 5.

The Harmonics performed at the ceremony.  Ms. Katelyn Hemling, the choir director, said she is very proud of how her Harmonics performed at the ceremony. “I think they did wonderfully, they were professional, they sounded great, and it was a beautiful song. They pulled it together so quickly, so I’m very proud of them.”

Hemling states that she was not nervous at all about her advanced chorus performing. She added, “performances are of course high-stress and it was a high-profile event so we wanted to put our best foot forward but I always have full confidence in them that they will pull it off.”

Junior Caine Blosser commented that they were “not particularly” nervous to perform contradictory to Hemling’s thoughts. They commented this was because “I’ve been performing for a very long time and even though it was a very formal event, the stakes were not very high for me. I wasn’t very nervous because I didn’t think it mattered too much considering it was a political event and I am not a very political person.”  The sophomore added, “ It obviously mattered to me whether or not we sounded good but the event itself wasn’t nerve-racking.”

Blosser is an avid performer throughout the community because they also participate in choir groups such as Chamber Choir, Majestics,  and The Lilacs. Outside of school they have taken part in Deer Creek Youth Choir, and in multiple conventions of youth choir’s throughout the state and country. 

For the inauguration Harmonics performed one song titled A Song of Peace. Blosser believes that they performed well and that the group is very “well-rounded” and takes performance very seriously. 

Hemling thinks it is great for her students to get any time they can out in the community especially to see the way that people react to them, “they got to sing alongside other schools and the event was just great exposure so it’s always an exciting day when they get to go out and make their presence known.”