Finding fulfillment through faith, travel, community

BETHANY BIRCHFIELD, News Editor

If you know me then you know I’m passionate about traveling, community, and most importantly my relationship with God. Coming in as a freshman there was no way José that I would be open about my faith… especially not in a public school setting. People talk. People stare. People Tweet. I wasn’t about to inflict unnecessary social pain upon myself where I most definitely did not need it, but God pursued me, and I know that sounds cheesy, corny and cliché, but it turns out that these values that were supposed to cause me anguish ended up making me feel worthy, excited, and capable.

God taught me that everyone is deserving, and I can’t judge people when I haven’t walked a day in their shoes. He showed me what a high feels like when I welcome him and what a low feels like without him. He’s crafted the right words for me to say when I’m struggling to say anything at all. My life without him would look so different, but he hasn’t been my only teacher.

Traveling has also been a great mentor, educator, and companion. Throughout our many family adventures, the different cultures and environments we’ve experienced have taught me some very valuable and sometimes irrelevant lessons.

In Costa Rica, I learned that Howler Monkeys have exceptionally good aim. In California, I learned that being stranded in the middle of nowhere allows for prime star gazing. In Canada, I learned not to get in the way of a mama Elk and her calf. In Arizona, I found that God’s creation of a single canyon can produce tears. In Utah, I realized that 33 degree water doesn’t joke around. In Chincoteague, I discovered that sting rays are a little more dangerous than we thought.

Although these places have taught me a lot, there’s only one place that has unexpectedly taught me the most:  the exotic and illusive North Harford. Plot twist!

In this school, I’ve learned some of my most valuable lessons.

In the Black Box, I learned that the show must go on and anything is possible when a cast becomes family. In journalism, I found that being open and honest to a large population doesn’t mean everyone is going to like you, and that’s okay! In the auditorium, I realized that reaching out has the ability to alter someone’s day, week, or even life. In the cafeteria, it occured to me that it’s okay to sit alone, but it’s even better to invite someone new to join your table. In English, I realized that when you see something, you say something. In my AP classes, I concluded that chocolate makes deadlines a little less stressful.

God, traveling, and community have made me who I am today. They have allowed me to make a home for myself that I will carry with me wherever I go. However, I’m not done learning yet and I can’t wait for what college has to teach me. Peace out NHHS, It’s been a hawktastic ride.