The unreliable board; we are unprepared

DANI BECKER, Reporter

Many students complain on the daily about school and the workload we receive. However, this won’t  be another teenager just complaining about work or school in general. Today I come with a question: How can I succeed when I am already being set up for failure?

Throughout schooling years, students take four core classes that include Math, Science, English, and History. In high school you are required to do Math and English every year. The fault I see in this is when we are in middle school, we have no room to fill any class blocks with something that could help give us an idea of what we want to do in the future. 

This also translates into high school as there are not many classes you can take that focus on a certain subject, and oftentimes, if there is a class, it isn’t enough to show you if you like something or not because you can not see what the real job is like. Personally, I worry about almost every job I can think of because I have no idea what it’s actually like and college is too pricey for me to regret the major I choose. 

The school system needs a big change to create a better, more useful, experience for it’s students. We are thrown into a sea of jobs and classes where we are left drowning in confusion and anxiety about our future. 

Many people believe that middle school is too early to start informing students about colleges and careers, but actually, it’s the perfect time. If I had the chance to go back and be able to learn more about different careers, I would feel more prepared. 

We should not be forced to take english and math all four years when  many of us most likely won’t need the information for our future careers. At that point in highschool we should be taking classes that are interesting and a possible option for the future. Why does a future english teacher need to know how to calculate velocity? And why does a future rocket scientist need to know how to read and analyze Shakespeare?

Now, I don’t blame the schools themselves because they have no control over what we do. Ultimately, it is the board’s decision. It’s sad to see so many students lose money and opportunities all because we are underprepared for our future.

The board has let many parents and students down by choosing to force us to learn what they believe is necessary instead of leaving it up to the students and letting us flourish and discover subjects that we love. We live in a world where not many people are looking out for you, and instead only worry about themselves and their benefits. It is clear that our board is not fully on our side.