Online learning couldn’t possibly be as bad as we say it is, right?

Jacob Gay, Reporter

The following text is a real-life, actual text I sent to a group chat on the first day of the 2020-2021 school year, “So are you guys like showering and dressing up for school? Maybe just for the first day?” 

Since then I have received this text about three times, “JAKE WAKE UP, IT’S SECOND PERIOD AND MRS. CHANDLER IS ASKING FOR YOU.” 

As it turns out, getting out of bed is a lot harder when you are waking up in your classroom. Fortunately, there are some pros and cons. Like not having to get dressed up for school— definitely a pro. Accidentally turning your camera on, however, definitely a con. 

Another good thing is students have to learn now how to motivate themselves to do schoolwork. A con— nobody has ever taught us how to motivate ourselves to do schoolwork. They usually just yell at me for sleeping in class. 

What is amazing is how well the students adapted. This was all new for the teachers, and there was little direction given to anybody. Yet, remarkably the students continue to check-in to class and do online work, even with little encouragement that things will get better since Covid apparently has a bunch of different new strands (just in time for the spring catalog!) 

Even with little means to have their voices heard, they continue to trust and adhere to what Harford County’s Covid Task Force says. It is our own fault though…we students did not rent out the Goodyear Blimp; and I mean how else would they know we don’t like online learning. 

Even with most students around America back in school (nearly full time), Harford County students still manage to do their absolute best to stay motivated and ‘learn’. 

It’s not just the students being flexible though, parents have also been adapting. Some have adapted their work schedules, routines, and family norms. Others have adapted where their children go to school, by moving them to a school like John Carroll, which is currently in-person.

The good news is there is a plan in place to go back. And by the time you are reading this, that plan will probably be redacted like the last one. This plan, however, is extremely different apparently. For example, last time we were going to go to school in cohorts. This time we are going to be going in cohorts, but in March.

Online learning – it’s like eating a SourPatch Kid. At first, it’s sour; it really just slaps you in the face and you think “this isn’t great.” Really… maybe I was the SourPatch Kid because online learning really bit my head off. I have forgotten to sign in like thirty-nine times and I have also accidentally left classes, three or four times (Mrs. Dallam, I promise I didn’t leave on purpose… I knew what an Oxymoron was).

After the sourness wears off, it gets sweeter, but it still kind of tastes chemical-ly. The second and third quarters of the school year are like the sweet- chemical taste. Seeing other schools go to school full time is a sour-kick in the jaw. Luckily, it is pretty sweet having all open-note tests. 

And never having another high school football game to go to, or realizing you soon will say goodbye to a lot of people; that’s like pouring in your mouth all the sour stuff that falls to the bottom of the bag. 

Nevertheless… even during our distaste, we figured the kinks out;  Itslearning works about 67 percent of the time, we cherish high school for what it was and we get excited about the future.      

While online learning is undoubtedly terrible; it could be a whole lot worse.

At least there are some sweet things about it… like taking math tests in your bed with comfortable clothes on, and learning how to stay motivated.