Students occupy time with companions; Quarantine causes rise in adoption of pets

Kensington Boyanich, News Editor

With the extra time on our hands during quarantine many students have bought new pets-  some with four legs, some with two, some with feathers and some with fur, some with hooves and some with paws.   

Sophomore Noa Blanken adopted a puppy during quarantine. “I’ve been wanting a dog that was solely mine forever. We have an almost 15-year-old dog and my grandparents asked me about three months before my 16th birthday what I wanted.” The sophomore said she jokingly commented  that she wanted a puppy. “They told me to pick one out and then we picked up my boy in mid-March.”  She added that she “probably wouldn’t have done this if it wasn’t for quarantine but having this time helped to train and bond with him. His name is Dagger and he is either an Australian cattle dog or blue heeler.”

Sophomore Riley Campbell bought chickens during quarantine. “We got them as a new project and something to keep us entertained during quarantine. We always planned on them at some point. They have helped to keep my mind off COVID, and they keep my mind busy.”

Sophomore Zane Kraus got a mini pig during this time. “I’ve had these animals before quarantine but I got it because I was bored and wanted to have something to do and something to look out for and take care of.”  He added that getting an animal is nice “to pass time and get your mind from what is happening, but you should only get an animal if you can give it a good home and all your attention and love.” 

Students share how getting an animal is “good to keep your mind off what is happening in the world and something to keep yourself occupied.” According to the Washington Post, “Shelters, nonprofit rescues, private breeders, pet stores — all reported more consumer demand than there were dogs and puppies to fill it. Some rescues were reporting dozens of applications for individual dogs. Some breeders were reporting waiting lists well into 2021.”

New animals can help with, “manage loneliness and depression by giving us companionship,” according to the CDC. “The bond between people and their pets can increase fitness, lower stress, and bring happiness to their owners.”

Noa Blankens dog Dagger is the newest addition to her family. She spends her time training him and taking care of him. PHOTO CREDIT: Noa Blanken