Darlington Fire Station’s new recruit prepares for position

Darlington Fire Station in Dublin across from Dublin Elementary School. Darlington V.F.C. is where Karlee trains daily. Photo Credit: Marylandvolunteers.org

Aiva Perron, Reporter

North Harford High School sophomore and member of the Darlington Fire Station, Karlee Neel, has just become a cadet firefighter. On Monday May 23, 2022, Neel completed and passed all the necessary training to be a junior firefighter.

This status means that  Neel can now do just about everything exterior on calls. However, there is still a lot to do such as more training and classes. She said she is thrilled to report that she can go on all the calls the firehouse gets.

But getting to where she is now was not an easy task, according to Karlee.

After her parents got involved with the firehouse in 2021, Neel became greatly interested in saving and helping people. Karlee spoke to her parents when she turned 15 asking if she could take part in activities pertaining to the firehouse. Mr. and Mrs. Neel agreed, and Karlee has been involved since.

According to Karlee’s dad, firefighter Shane Neel, who has been with Darlington Fire Station since September of 2021, a person must be between 10 and 16 years of age and have the proper training and experience to qualify to be a cadet.

Training includes learning how to break down doors, windows, and even break into mangled vehicles to rescue people in them. Sometimes this means tearing the roof off a car or removing a windshield. Believe it or not, these things and more are all necessary for some rescues. 

In addition to these practices, Neel participates in stimulated rescues that she walked out of with lots of bumps, bruises, and scrapes. However, Karlee said it was all very helpful to her, especially because it is like what you have to do as a firefighter. 

Unfortunately, there are a lot of difficult and painful tasks that come from being a firefighter, Neel says. At least every sixty days, the hoses on all the firetrucks must be tested for their effectiveness and to ensure there are no cracks or other problems. To test the hoses, they must be pulled off the truck and sprayed at 300psi  (pounds for square inch)

This is especially strenuous for several reasons. For one, fires are normally fought at 90psi, according to Neelak, making the hose very difficult to manage when tested. It usually takes five to six people to hold the 200-foot hoses. This takes about 2 ½ to three hours with six people helping, not including the supply line, which is about 4,000 feet, according to Neel.

Despite this, it still takes an incredible amount of strength to hold the hose steady, says Neel. “There have been times when I’ve been at the hose nozzle, and I’ve literally been lifted off the ground while trying to hold it. As in, I’m almost a foot off the ground,” Karlee adds.

As previously mentioned, the hose lengths range from 200 to 4,000 feet and are about six inches in diameter. Before the hose can be wrapped up and put back on the truck, all water must be emptied, and the hose must be flattened. Then, the hose must be delicately rolled up and placed back on the truck. This takes about 35 to 40 minutes after a fire, but after testing, it takes longer. It then takes about three people to put the hoses back on the truck.

Another adjustment for the senior cadet is having to deal with a wonky schedule. 

Right when she gets home from school, Karlee must get as much homework done as she can, squeeze in a quick nap – if possible – eat, and head over to the firehouse, usually returning home around 10:30 at night to get a shower and go to bed. However, the time she gets home when she goes out on a call varies depending on the call.

But despite this, Neel is still holding onto a 3.8 GPA.  She adds that good grades are necessary to keep her in the fire program.

But sleep and physical exhaustion are not the only things that have and will continue to affect Karlee as she continues her career.   According to .samhsa.gov, 30% of firefighters struggle with this: mental health.

As a member of the force, you see many things and some of those things may haunt force members for years to come. Karlee says. “It’s sad that people do lose a lot in car accidents and in house fires, but at the end of the day, I’m doing my job of helping people and keeping them safe.” 

So, despite the devastation, the sophomore says she  intends to keep going with her journey and hopes to help and save as many people as she can.