In charge for summertime; Students work as camp counselors

Kimberly Sawyer, Reporter

Spring felt like forever, pollen everywhere, kids coughing, allergy medicine flew off the shelves. Finally, summer is here, and camps are opening for kids’ laughter and entertainment.  With kids running around everywhere, there must be counselors to look after them.

Harford County, Maryland has a lot of options for camps for young children. According to google.com, camps in this county include Camp Hidden Valley, Boy Scouts Camps, Camps at Gym’s like the arena club and Bel Air athletic club, the Y Camp, and 4-H camp just to name a few.

For instance, junior Elisabeth Holmes is going to council at Harford County 4-H Youth and Education. According to extension.umd.edu, the 4-H camp has clubs designed for youth ages 8 to 18. The clubs also have “Clovers” ages 5 to 7. She signed up for a camp counselor because “I’ve been going to camp since I was 8,” and she thought that was the “best next step.”

Her brother had also gone to that camp, and “he was also a camp counselor.” Holmes’ favorite thing about counseling is, “spending time with the kids.” Holmes says that the counselors, “try to plan events both outside and inside.” They always must plan with the climate in mind. Holmes also states that, “the first thing that comes with camp is the rules, then we have fun.” FINISH

According to indeed.com, the average camp counselor is age 16 and up. A lot of camps will allow younger counselors if there are enough older counselors. Counselors that are paid have an average cost of $12.45 an hour. Camps like Boy Scouts, 4-H, and the Y are volunteer, however, camps at the gyms are paid. 

According to resources.workable, to be a camp counselor, you need to be organized. You will organize groups for games, sports, and other events during camp. Counselors plan and lead the events, providing opportunities to help the children’s skill level grow. A leader should work on their level to keep them calm, controlled, and comfortable, all while maintaining control of the campers. 

For camps that parents must pay for, according to cnbc.com, “the average camp cost is anywhere from $199 to $800 daily,” and $680 to $2000 a week. Between the different camps, the age to sign up for a camp varies, but the average is 4 to 17.

Some reasons to become a camp counselor, according to campwatitoh, are that you gain work experience, have something positive to do all summer instead of laying in bed playing video games, gain volunteer hours for high school requirements, and learn the responsibilities of leading a youth group.