Crushing it in CrossFit

JESSICA CARNIVALE, Sports Editor

On October 14, most of North Harford High School’s students were prepping for the homecoming dance but two NH students were getting there workout in prior getting down on the dance floor. The morning of homecoming seniors Ryan O’leary and Andrew Lechner participated in a CrossFit event called  Festivus.

According to O’Leary, Festivus is “a team competition were you and a partner complete the workouts.” The CrossFit event took place at Gorillaz Fitness in Forest Hill, MD.

This local CrossFit gym primarly focuses on self improvment. According to their website (fitgorillaz.com) their mission is “to give you the results you have been looking for”

CrossFit is designed to help improve fitness and health. It includes intense workouts in intervals of time. The workouts can contain aspects gymnastics, weightlifting, running, rowing and more. According to crossfit.com. O’leary and Lechner participated in workouts similar to these. According to O’leary “[during the competition] we do pull ups, dead lifts, a lot of Olympic lifts, just like cross training.”

Although both seniors are new to CrossFit and this was their first competition together they stated they would do it again and found it to be a “bonding” experience.  According to Lechner, “We really didn’t think we were going to place but we ended up getting second.” Even though O’leary and Lechner went in with less than enthusiastic attitudes they ended up doing better than they expected and claim that they would do an event similar to Festivus again.