Developing disabilities into physical education

HANNAH AYRES, Reporter

Maryland State Adapted Teacher of the Year and Eastern Regional  District Adapted Physical Education Teacher of the Year, top five finalists of United States Adapted Physical Education teacher of the Year in 2011, Director of adapted PE teacher, Katherine Lambert guarantees students the opportunity to develop lifetime wellness skills.
Katherine Lambert is the director of adapted physical education. This job includes “providing an athletic program for students who have disabilities that prevent them from access to high school athletic participation.”  She believes “The successful participation in physical education and development of lifetime wellness skills is the goal for every HCPS student including students with and without disabilities.”
Lambert says her job “includes providing an athletic program for students who have disabilities that prevent them from access to high school athletic participation. The Sports for Life athletic program is designed for students with disabilities supported by students without disabilities competing together forming a high school team,” says Lambert. The Sports for Life program has three seasons bocce, bowling, and basketball, which are offered to every high school student at HCPS.
Lambert went to college and signed up for a role as a student teacher at John Archer and fell in love with the job from there. The favorite part of her job is “Watching the students achieve success” and giving “students confidence that they can participate in physical activities they enjoy despite having a disability.”
Lambert job impacts these students who have disabilities that prevent them from access to high school athletic participation are “more likely to develop health issues so providing access and skills in physical activity will hopefully diminish or prevent future health issues.”
A day in the life of an adapted PE teacher is varied.  “I frequently modify equipment or take adapted equipment to make participation easier for students. I teach para educators how to help the students do exercises and what to modify for them.” says Lambert, “ Often I am called in to help with students returning from an injury or medical problem  and I create individualized work-out routines following a doctor’s restrictions.”