Seniors reflect on last year of high school sports

MARIA KROPKOWSKI, IDR Editor

These next few months are filled with lasts for North Harford’s senior class, including their last sports season played at the school. Many of the seniors are taking time to reflect on their experiences on the teams and are soaking up these last weeks with their fellow teammates.

As a member of the track and field team since his freshman year, Frank Badders is excited to beat his times during his last season and to “run with the boys.” The thing he will miss the most from being on the team is when they “run the 400m sprint and [he will] be out of breath because of laughing, not because [he’s] exhausted.” Badders also adds that “track is a lot of fun because of the people, not all the running.”

If he could go back to freshman year, he would tell himself to “buy a foam roller to avoid shin splints and smaller injuries.” This year, Mrs. Laura O’Leary is coaching the distance team for her first time, and Badders says he has learned more from her than any other of the past coaches.

William Beltran has been playing tennis since kindergarten and decided to join the high school team his freshman year, under the influence of his older brother who previously played for the team. In his last season he is most looking forward to this year’s tournaments, and the one thing he will miss the most is “going to matches and being a part of the team.” If he could go back to his freshman year and give himself from advice, he would tell himself “not to care as much when people make fun of tennis.” He plans on continuing to play tennis in college on the club level.

Nick Phillips has been swinging the bat for 12 years, and in his last year of participating in high school he is looking forward to “playing with the rest of the seniors and having a good season.” Phillips says he would like to thank coach Burrows “for helping him work on his swinging last year, and because he’s a good guy.”

As for Brooke Rickey of the girl’s lacrosse team, this is not the end of her lax career since she will be playing for East Stroudsburg University next year. She’s excited to “spend time this year with friends and her underclassmen teammates.” Her favorite memory from her time on the team was “freshman year when she played goalie so Skylar could play field.”