Baseball captures ‘Win’ing moment through caps

EMMA MARLEY, Features Editor

Ever paid close attention to the back of the guy’s varsity baseball hats? A three letter word appears on the bottom center of the hat, spelling out ‘WIN’. To some people, this may look at a way to motivate the team during the game, as a ‘hype up’. Although this is true, it holds a stronger meaning than just three letters written on the back of a sports cap.

The simple word is actually paying tribute to graduated senior, and 2017 baseball manager, Win Berrell. As said, it is a way to motivate the team; in this case, to do better at their sport for the guy that was always there whether they were walking away with a victory or a loss.

Although Berrell was only a manager, senior and captain Nick Phillips shares, “he holds a special place in our hearts on the team. He felt like a part of the team; always fooling around and cheering with us.”

Berrell was known to always keep a smile on his face while spreading school spirit with his positive upbeat attitude. ‘WIN’ is a way to keep that spirit alive as well as all the memories that have been created throughout the season, on and off the field.

The team looks at their hats as unique when looking at theirs compared to other teams due to the fact that it’s a tribute to someone who meant so much to the team. “I could care less about what the hat looks like, make it purple for all I care. I’m playing this season for the name on the back of the hat,” states senior Andrew Lechner.

The team has the whole makes sure to carry on the upbeat attitude that Berrell tried so hard to make a priority. At games, the boys make sure to cheer loud and lift up everyones moods when they seem to fall down.

Overall, all the special moments shared with the team “will be cherished throughout the season and for years to come,” as shared by the boys.

Make sure to head over to the next baseball game and pay attention to the three letter word written on the back of the hats. It may look small and simple, but to the team and many people at the high school, it holds a stronger meaning.