NFL releases new rule against players kneeling during national anthem

James Zangrilli, Hawks Reporter

On May 23rd, 2018 the National Football League held a meeting among team owners to discuss a new rule to fine players who choose to kneel during the playing of the national anthem.

The kneeling had first started in 2016, when 49ers ex quarterback Colin Kaepernick took a knee in order to bring attention to riots and police brutality in America. Since then he has started a movement throughout the NFL in order to raise awareness about racial inequities in the justice system.

The reactions were as expected for the athletes, fans were split between the respect for our country and understanding why these players are kneeling. The ratings went down and it was questioned if this was the wrong way to express their thoughts and views on what is going on in the world. It did not stop the players from kneeling, even if they were threatened by owners or the commissioner that they would be fined.

The NFL has just released a new rule on the kneeling saying that players will be fined if they attempt to take a knee during the national anthem. They can either stand or wait in the locker room before the game. Defensive Tackle for the New York Giants Damon Harrison Sr. tweeted that “It’s not and never has been about the anthem. All the owners care about is their bottom line.” He says that it’s not about disrespecting the national anthem, but that people are ignoring real problems and the team owners just care about their salary and how it reflects on them.

This new rule has also affected the fans at home. Sophomore Emily Boling said “I don’t know, I feel like people have the right to protest but honestly it’s not completely protesting their meanings, it’s kind of like the protest the county itself and protest the flag when people have died for it.” A lot of people are against the kneeling because they feel it is disrespectful towards the flag and people that died for our freedom.