New coaching staff Sweeps North Harford this Fall

CLARE CUMMINGS, Reporter

This upcoming fall season at The Hawks Nest, there will be many changes made to the coaching staff. These alterations were decided upon in order to better the Hawk’s sports teams and bring in new perspectives. For these new coaches, the hope is that they can connect with their teams to make for a great season.

In order to be considered as a candidate for a position on the coaching staff, there are many requirements that must be met, according to Tim Larimore, NHHS’s Athletic Director. Along with being interviewed by Larimore himself, those who wish to apply must take and pass classes like Concussion in Sports, Heat Illness Prevention, Protecting from Abuse, and more.

Coaches must also be CPR/AED certified, and must show proof of this certification during the interview process. While there are many steps to take before one can be considered for the position, “It’s worth it,” according to Ora Cummings, the new varsity girls soccer coach.

Cummings has been coaching soccer teams for years, whether it be rec, club, or high school. Most recently she coached the JV Girls soccer team in the fall of 2019. The experience for her, she says, was “so positive and fulfilling and that she could not wait to coach again the next year.”

This fall, Cummings is honored to be coaching the varsity girls soccer team. She believes that the new staff will bring a new energy to the teams, and “hopes to bring new ideas to the table, resulting in success, skill, and fun.”

Chris Kapinos has been teaching at NHHS for 18 years. Recently, he learned that he will be the assistant varsity football in the fall. “I’m looking forward to working with the new coaching staff and players,” says Kapinos. He is already preparing for the upcoming season, and is thrilled to be a part of “something so great.”

New assistant JV football coach, Charlie Dawson, feels similarly. He believes that the changes will make for “more student interest, because of the fresh faces.”

Dawson says that the new football coaches have already begun to run seven vs. seven drills for those interested in playing in the fall. This allows him to familiarize himself with the players, and to take a look at players both new and old. He feels that the boys, like the new coaches, are excited to see where the season will take them