Players’ parade pink pride

ADDY DEAN, Reporter

October is breast cancer awareness month and the Hawk's Nest is gearing up in all pink to show our
support.
From little pink additions to player's uniforms to games dedicated to breast cancer, North Harford is
dedicated to showing our pink pride.
On October 21, girls' volleyball hosted their ‘dig pink game’ against Edgewood. A new tradition for the
team, the squad was all in pink.. According to varsity player Jordan Tidey, “the whole team had matching
pink shirts and we all decorated the gym in pink”
Although this was the first year the women's’ volleyball team initiated this event, in previous years they
made sure to add “little pink touches to their uniform. Tidey added that the team would wear pink
shoelaces, headbands, ribbons, or socks.
Volleyball isn’t the only sport showing pink pride gold also enjoys attaching ribbons to their hats and
using pink markers for their balls during matches.
According to junior Jake Gay the golf team doesn’t do “anything official, but we all like to show some
support.”
For cross country they have a similar philosophy on showing their pink pride. Senior
Will Tikiob weighed in how he shows his spirit during October. “Sometimes during an October meet and
practices I'll wear a pink headband or pink socks.”
As for the football team if the Hawks host a game during breast cancer awareness month the student
body will work together to show their spirit.  According to senior Noah Dehart, a captain from the football
team, will usually try and get everyone who shows up to the game to wear pink.
Unfortunately, this past October the Hawks did not have a home “pink out” game. However, that didn’t
stop players from showing pride during practice and games.
Along with other players, varsity football player Lance Arnold has been seen wearing pink socks.
It’s not a new phenomenon at North Harford to show their awareness for breast cancer. In
2016 girls varsity soccer held a “pink out” game for a mother who was diagnosed with breast
cancer. According to a past teammate they all wore pink matching warm up shirts and gave the mother
(who was diagnosed with breast cancer) pink roses.