Signing day: North Harford athletes seek change

Rachel Keeney, H/S Editor

Committing to a college is an exciting moment athletes want to share with friends, family, and coaches. But ‘Signing day experiences vary from school to school.

Signing day occurs when seniors who have committed to a college for a sport verbally, get to officially sign that they will be going and playing the sport.

Some high schools celebrate their commits signing day much differently. According to…… Bel Air High School and Edgewood include a backdrop for photos, balloons supporting their school colors and college colors, and a long back table. Along with decorations, the administration staff and any commits friends or family are allowed to come to show support.

A student female lacrosse athlete at NH said “the students that get to pursue sports in college should get more recognition than what was given.”  This student added that signing day is more than just the division level or how known the school is.  

The same student felt that almost all schools in Harford County had some sort of a signing day, “but our school didn’t have one until a week past the actual date.”

Athletic Director, Tim Larrimore states “there is no rule we have to follow for signing day. We typically have celebrated their National letter of intent and take a picture to send to the aegis”.

The student also adds that “If you’re an athlete, you know how much work gets put into the sport. To finally find a college that fits you and your needs is so special. But to not be recognized until a week later makes us commits feel like our achievement isn’t as important.”

Senior Lexie Coldiron added, “I know that everyone who signed had to do it outside of school which really made us upset because when you would go on social media you would see every school from the county having a big celebration for their commits.” Coldiron also says it makes commits feel “unrecognized” because of all the hard work and hours that they put in. Even though our school held a signing day a week past the actual date, Coldiron says “at this point, it wasn’t very special. People still felt left out and robbed from the actual signing day. Overall it just left us feeling unsupported by the school.”

Coldiron and the anonymous senior feel strongly that signing day should be celebrated as it is in other schools. “Signing day is a big day for athletes; we all should be recognized for our future athletic and academic careers and have support from not only our friends, family, and teachers, but the community as well.”