Speeding into action; Students on different track

LEIGHA MACBURNEY, Reporter

Speed. Jump. Race. While many students prefer more traditional sports such as football, soccer, and lacrosse, a few NH upperclassmen prefer to live in the fast lane to race dirt bikes.

Everyone has a different drive to get them going but for senior Anthony Fulco and junior Nicholas Sturgill it was the thrill of the speed and their friends. But it wasn’t just speed for senior Jakob Rassa. Rassa stated that “[his] dad “was professional back when [he] was [his] age” and that he wanted to get to that level one day.

Fluco stated that when racing his goals were to push himself to get faster and his higher jumps but also to be able to get out with his friends to be able to push each other to do better. Rassa also mentioned  that racing is just a lot of fun to be a part of and as you become more advanced the enjoyment only increases.

All of the racers stated that they race locally but they also have to travel to places such as Tennessee, Pennsylvania, and eastern Maryland. Sturgill mentioned that his favorite track that he raced was Budds Creek in Mechanicsville, Maryland because of all the big jumps.

Fulco had mentioned that racing at Breezewood Proving Grounds in Breezewood Pennsylvania is all around great time. He added that the facility not only had a racing track but a high dive as well so “during the summer after you just crank out some laps you just hop in the pond.”

Unlike the other two racers Rassa stated he loved to race at Loretta Lynn’s in Hurricane Mill, Tennessee. He added that the race was a championship and that it was really exciting to be there. The race was special to him because to get to the championship you had to qualify twice to get there and it was the top 40 people.

Rassa noted that it was an accomplishment to be there and that his best finish on the track was an eighth, but he was unable to finish because he ended up getting hurt.