Students continue fall season through various organizations

Madison Fetherston, Reporter

As students adapt to at home classrooms, NH’s athletes have taken advantage of opportunities outside of the Hawk’s Nest, adapting to how their new season will play out. The Jarrettsville Recreation Council (JRC) provides students with the option to continue their season during the times of COVID-19. JRC’s fall program offers field hockey, cheerleading, flag and tackle football, and soccer while volleyball is included in the year-round program for ages 16 and older.

On July 16, the JRC board of directors met to discuss the status of their programs regarding “these unpredictable times,” a significant portion of the meeting focused on the fall season, as HCPS announced that students would not return to in-person learning in the fall. While safety is their top priority, the council also felt that it was of great importance to provide their community’s youth with the opportunity to stay physically active as well as socially interactive.

Athletic director Timothy Larrimore encourages students to join such programs, “it’s great to see that athletes are finding leagues to play in and are able to participate in sports. Being on a team is so important to many kids and teaches life lessons. Hopefully, we can soon get back to playing high school sports again. We have been busy working on plans.”

Along with the efforts of JRC and various other leagues, Maryland Public Secondary School Athletic Association (MPSSAA) aims to provide students with a fall season as well, however, seasons would be shortened, assuming it is safe to play. Member of the men’s soccer program Matthew Johnstone claims, “it was very odd for me because for the first time in 18 years I wasn’t on the soccer field in Mid-August starting the season. I’m grateful that MPSSAA has a model in place so that our students hopefully get a chance to play the sports they love and represent NHHS.” 

Many of NH’s seniors play their final season away from the Hawk’s nest through parks and rec. Senior Lina Goetz plays for two field hockey teams to make the most of her last high school season of field hockey. “It’s sad not being able to play in the actual season but it’s really nice that we have still been given the opportunity to play in other ways!” 

As for cross country, athletes can remain active through Charm City Run. When responding to an online poll, over 85 percent of students would rather play without fans than not have a season at all. Student’s continue to play the sports they love with hopes of returning to the Hawk’s Nest.