Student perspective on uniforms; Facing the statistics

Madison Fetherston, Reporter

Throughout a series of poll questions limited to 200 responses, North Harford’s athlete’s had a variety of opinions. 

For fall sport, ladies soccer took home the title for Best Dressed, with our football team close in ranking. Meanwhile our Cross Country team agreed that the boys and girls uniforms were very similar. If new uniforms were made for one fall sport, 52 percent of student athletes agreed that Cross Country deserved some change while 35 percent argued that football was the desired change. 

Senior athlete Sophia Tremble has run cross country since her freshman year, when asked her opinion on the matter she suggested, “For Cross Country, the girls and the boys uniforms are very similar, sometimes too similar. I agree that in the future a new and improved uniform would be good for the team.” 

As for winter sports, the girls swim team spoke out the most on the matter. When polled, student athletes had very little to say about the swim teams uniforms, however junior  Claire Priebe mentioned how the girls would prefer uniforms made by the brand Jolyn. “We were talking about customizing them ourselves and asking our coach if we could get them instead of the normal ones we get. They aren’t as expensive as the ones the school makes us buy, and every girl could pick what style suit they wanted.” 

Men’s basketball took home the title for Best Dressed in winter sports. No sport received a large majority of votes when student athletes were polled for which sport deserved some changes in their uniform, each sport received similar numbers during this time. 

As for spring sports, girl’s lacrosse uniforms ranked first for which uniform players wanted to see changes made in while baseball ranked second. Senior Lauryn Warfield has played lacrosse throughout her high school career, she suggested, “Girls should not have to wear skirts. I’ve played for multiple club teams with skirts and without skirts, and without skirts is much more comfortable and allows girls not to worry about if the skirt will move.” When polled separately, both JV and Varsity, 92 percent of girls lacrosse players agreed that they would rather see a uniform without a skirt in the future. 

Meanwhile, track and field were a close second behind men’s lacrosse for Best Dressed in our spring sports poll, unlike Cross Country. While the uniforms are similar, our student athletes agreed that the Track and Field team looks organized in our school’s uniforms. Whatever changes may come to these uniforms when school sports start again, students will be happy to return to the Hawk’s Nest in the future.