Kicking off new season; Soccer in full swing

Junior Jenna Amrhein goes up against opposing team;
In-game against Kennner-Dale two weeks ago

Terri Quick

Junior Jenna Amrhein goes up against opposing team; In-game against Kennner-Dale two weeks ago

REESE SHOWALTER, Reporter

The boys Varsity soccer team started their season with a loss against the Bel Air Bobcats. The Hawks lost two to three. This season the boys will play a total of 16 games. They will play 10 away games and six home games. The JV (junior varsity) team won their first game against Bel Air the score of the game was 1-0.

There are many anticipated games throughout the season according to junior Nathan Peisinger “our most anticipated games coming up are Hereford ad C. Milton Wright. Aside from that, other schools in our league are games we just aren’t as anxious about.” 

Sean Gibbons, senior, also said that he was excited about the Fallston game. Fallston has always been a rivalry and a big game for most sports. Gibbons says “big schools like C. Milton Wright are always a challenge, it’s fun to prepare for them. Our playoff games at the end of the year are also a lot of fun.”

Gibbons said “It is fun to be back after the year off, it is nice to get back to normal. There was no outside season so this is the first time getting back onto the field” Peisinger says “the lack of a season last year was very disappointing. I am sure even more so for the seniors who missed their final year but for everyone who played a fall sport it was a letdown to miss out on a whole season.”

Head coach Matthew Johnstone says he is very excited about this season to see how the team continues to grow. Johnstone also said “Players are working hard each day to improve and it will pay off for them in the long run.  My goal for the team is to put them in the best position to be most successful so they can achieve the goals they set as a team.”

Freshman Jamail Holmes of the JV team believes that: “If we bond as a team, In a game, we will play a lot better because we will know our strengths and weaknesses better.” Jones said he was very upset about not having a season last year. He loves to play soccer and it is his favorite thing to do in his free time.

The girls varsity soccer team started with a loss against North East High School and a win against Havre De Grace High School. The team will play 15 games, eight games at home, and seven games away.

Junior Jenna Amrhein said, “It is great to be back after not having a season last year and I have a great feeling about the rest of the season.” Amrhein is excited for the games against Harford Tech and Fallston.

JV player Aubrey Hyman said after playing her games she likes to stay after and watch the varsity team play. “I’m excited to have a season this year, I am most excited to play C. Milton Wright. For the rest of the season, I am excited to get closer with my teammates and getting to play games.”