Athletic funding lower than usual; High hopes for the future

Riley Stoneback, Reporter

As far as high school athletics go, funding is necessary for sports equipment and jerseys for teams. North Harford Athletic Director Tim Larrimore said, “Compared to previous years, sports funding is about the same, just a few thousand dollars less than average.”  He added that though it did affect the budget by a few thousand dollars, “not having fall sports last season did not really impact the amount of funding each sport brings in.”  

The athletic budget pays for equipment like balls, nets, protective equipment, goals, tournaments and playdays, subscriptions to online team entry, wrestling mats, medical kits and supplies, water jugs, repairs, poles for vaulting, hurdles, fences, paint and liners, and so much more.

The school and sports department have not done much for funding, mainly because it is not a necessity right now. The amount of funding will need to increase as time progresses to meet the need for rising costs. 

Though many teams bring in a lot of money, the football team brings in the most at the gate.  However, the team also requires the most amount of money in the budget due to uniforms, padding, and equipment. 

Larrimore said, “I purchase everything that coaches ask for or require. Very seldom, if ever, do I have to say no. We are very fortunate to have such an active booster club. I have many hopes for the future of our athletics department. I would like to see funding go up with inflation.” 

There have not been any fundraisers by the athletic department, though individual teams and the Booster Club have been doing fundraisers and different events since the fall season began. An example would include the girls’ soccer team’s annual Tom Berg tournament. 

Larrimore said, “I think we are very fortunate to have such nice facilities. I would like to have better playing surfaces for softball and baseball. All other outdoor sports have the wonderful stadium with turf or tennis courts and inside sports have the two gyms.”