Peterson’s martial art experience shining through; Student kicks her way to black belt

Meghan Kalck, SSC Editor

Karate is not a sport that you hear a lot of people talk about now-a-days but, senior Annika Peterson has talked about her experiences in the sport.

The film The Karate Kid or the show Cobra Kai, both are on Netflix, but they are also how Peterson spends some of her free time.

She became a first degree black belt in karate a little while back, but the sport is not new to her. Peterson started taking karate lessons “sometime in seventh grade,” because her friends were also taking lessons at the time so she wanted to join to “hang out with them more.” 

She added that  In taekwondo, there are multiple different belts you can earn starting at white and ending at a 10 degree black belt;  athletes advance after testing skills, if they pass the test, they can advance to the next level belt.

Peterson took lessons at the ATA Martial Arts studio that is in Forest Hill, but there are two other branches, Edgewood and now, Bel Air.

Peterson no longer takes karate lessons, but she said that she’s sure she could “break it out again” at some point if she really wanted to.

ATA has “traditional, progressive, high-energy curriculum and certified instructors,” according to the ATA Martial Arts website. Their programs are for kids, adults, and families to help with self-discipline and help “be successful in life.”

Some of the benefits for the kids classes for ages 3-6 are fun classes for every kid that improve listening skills, raise confidence, and help foster good behavior and self-discipline.

The benefits they listed for kids aged 7-12 are a boost in socialization skills, encouragement in physical activity, help with learning to accomplish goals for themselves, and help with promoting non-violent conflict resolution. 

As for the classes for teens and adults there is no experience needed in order to join. Those who participate in the sport say it can benefit you with self defense. It can also help you learn better ways to defend yourself in danger situations, gets you up and moving to help keep you in shape, and helps with stress and helps with focusing.

“ For over 50 years, ATA has made life-changing impacts to over 1 million students worldwide,” the ATA website says. Their goal and responsibility is to teach students in every nation of every age and gender as best as they possibly can.

There are over 950 independently and fully licensed studios around the world and they all have the same goals “to provide students with the highest quality martial arts curriculum available in a fun and positive learning environment that people of all ages can enjoy.”

If you are interested in taking classes at this studio you can sign up on their website at atamarticalarts.com and start kicking your way to the highest belt.