How to stay active in winter; Students find unique ways to stay healthy

Delaney O'Neil, Reporter

As the cold winter weather moves quickly into the North Harford community, students find ways to stay active and there can be various advantages to working out in the cold. Cooler weather allows for longer workout periods, to burn even more calories, and can boost your immunity during cold and flu season, according to Heart. 

NH students find unique ways to stay healthy, ranging from exercising dogs through agility to lifting in the gym. While remaining at home, sophomore Zachary Akens says, “[I] do three sets of 75 curl ups and 100 push ups a day.” Akens also runs two miles in 11 minutes outside. He said, “[I] run outside because it feels better in the cold.”

Similarly, freshman Kalli Smith said, “[I] run during the week for about a mile every other day.” Along with activities outdoors, Smith participates in indoor lacrosse. She says her schedule includes “Practice on Saturday and games on Saturday’s and Sunday’s.” 

Multiple other students are engaging in indoor sports to stay active. Sophomore Caitlyn Travagline said, “[I] play indoor lacrosse in the winter, which includes games on Saturday evenings for about an hour.” Likewise, junior Jenna Amrhein plays, “Varsity highschool basketball and club soccer for Pipeline.” Her schedule includes basketball practices every day after school and soccer Monday, Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday. 

Those students who are not participating in a highschool sport also take advantage of going to a gym and using home gyms. Sophomore Wyatt Canapp said, “[I] use my workout room and participate in weight training as a gym credit.” Junior Claire McMahon attends Planet fitness where she says, “[I] run and lift.”

More unique ways students are staying healthy include hiking and dog agility. Sophomore Colin Morse said, “My dad and [I] go on camping trips on the Maryland section of the Appalachian trail, which can be an all day event.” Morse also goes to the gym to lift and do cardio, saying, “[I] am usually there for two and a half hours.”

Junior Stephanie Erisman said, “[I] exercise my dog and we do agility.” Erisman does this as much as she can, working around school and work schedules, and said, “We have agility equipment set up outside, which [I] will run my dog through for about 30 minutes at a time.” Other activities with her dog include fetch, when they are not working on training. 

Despite frigid winter weather that has already begun to present itself in the NH community, staying active outside is crucial to maintaining one’s health. Even with only a few minutes outdoors, the essential vitamin D can be obtained, according to Heart. Students have proved there is a variety of ways to keep fitness levels up, so remember to stay active this winter!