Running fast in cold weather; Indoor track making progress this season

Meghan Kalck, SSC Editor

With the cold weather setting in this season, the indoor track team is working hard to win by running fast in the winter air.

After not having an official season last year, the team is still trying to “get into the swing of things,” this season according to sophomore Grace Conklin. She  stated some of the students on the team are “doing it for their first time, for conditioning,  and others are doing it coming off of their cross country season.”

Senior Colin Smith said that “the team is doing well,” so far and that the team meets about two times a week. “[I think] we are going to move to three days a week soon,” Smith said. He believes this will be beneficial to the team because “we probably need to practice more.”

North Harford has no indoor track to practice on so the team practices in the outside cold winter weather. Conklin said that she “doesn’t really mind running in the cold,” because she feels it makes her run faster because “[I] have to run to stay warm.”

Smith said that he does not like running in the cold, but he would “rather run in the cold than go indoors and get shin splints.”

Conkin and Smith also have personal goals for this season. Conklin plans on “trying to keep [her] times down,” because she is doing track for conditioning in order to get ready for her lacrosse season in the spring.

Smith said that he plans to “practice on the off days,” so he is able to stay in shape for the remainder of the season because the team only meets two times a week so far.

Some things that Conklin said the team will work on in the future is “having a good team bond,” and that the team is all “cool with each other,” because some kids are from cross country and some are not. Smith stated that something that he noticed the team needs to work on is getting an “increase in mileage.”

Senior Kayla Smith did not do track this year but she has in previous years at NH, she did not do it this year because “its [just] a lot with working to and [just] I knew a lot of my friends aren’t doing it this year,” and she also did not want to have to stay after school. 

Smith also does not like practicing outside in the cold weather and she was not a fan of the practices but she did enjoy the meets and competing.