Girls basketball shooting for victory; 2021-22 regular season coming to close

The girls basketball team (not all pictured) out to dinner at Geneva Golf Course after their win against Rising Sun on Monday, February 7, 2022. They are ready to take on Joppatowne and North East for their last two games of the season on February 9 and February 15. PHOTO CREDIT: Staff

MEGHAN KALCK, SSC Editor

Winter sports season is coming to a close here at North Harford, but playoffs will shortly follow. The girls’ basketball team is sad to see it come to a close.

Sophomore Caroline Nicholson is upset that the season is going to be ending soon but it was a “good season,” this year. Playoff season will follow shortly after the regular season ends and the team intends to practice a good amount, so they get “everything ready to go,” she says.

“The team bond we have is really good,” Nicholson says. The team gets along together and they can get on the court and have fun together.

Junior Lillian Duffy believes that the team has “gotten a lot better with skills,” as the season progressed but there is some stuff still that they need to work on. 

“For playoffs, I believe we just need to keep doing what we’re doing now,” Duffy says. “The team has a lot of intensity and energy on the court and also on the bench cheering on their teammates during the games.”

Duffy says that the team has “definitely gotten closer throughout the whole season,” and you can see it through wins and losses of all the games.

Junior Jenna Amrhein believes that the team has “definitely gotten stronger.” With the end of the season coming up, she is sad to see it come to an end, but spring sports will shortly follow. A good amount of the team plays a spring sport.

“We [have] definitely gotten stronger both physically and mentally [and] we all have gelled together,” Amrhein says. For playoffs, Amrhein says that the team “knows they have lost to some good teams but going in with the mindset that they are going to win and give it their all is really going to help them, because they do not know who they are going to play yet for the [playoffs].”

Senior and one of the team captains Laynie Sheahy says that they are a “good athletic team but, [they] struggle in some areas, mainly with running [their] offense,” and also with the teams shooting at some times. 

For playoffs, Sheahy says that they are going to give it their all and go as far as they can in the 2A class, but there are definitely going to be “hard teams that [they] haven’t seen yet.” 

Sheahy believes that the team bond is pretty strong, but they need to “come together when the team is down,” and when they are “struggling in games.”