Track team runs their way through spring Finishing up 2022 season; Athletes reminisce

Kensington Boyanich, Business Manager

The track team has hit the ground running this season. Many of the runners have broken their own personal records this year, some even breaking school records in their events. 

Track team members and juniors, Matthew Chaney, Finley Lavin, and Sierra Weaver have talked about their season. Weaver says, “the season has been good for the most part, the girls are doing well.” Lavin goes on to say, “it hasn’t been our best season but it also by far hasn’t been the worst.” 

When talking about team bonding relationships between everyone Chaney states, “Coach Cachola [one of the head coaches of the team] bought the variety pack of Dum-Dums.” Weaver goes on to add that, “he usually just buys tropical.” Weaver continues saying that, “the bus rides to meets are so much fun. We all listen to music together and take a lot of funny pictures of each other. We also pass around the bag of Dum-Dums to everyone.” 

Lavin talks about how the team does not have a trainer and many people have been injured throughout the season. “When someone does get injured, they go to a book that Coach O’Leary has that has different stretches and things you can do to try and help. Even without a trainer we have been doing well though, the people who do get injured eventually come back.”

“I broke 60 seconds in my 400, which is one lap around the track.” Lavin adds.  Weaver talks about how, “there have been a lot of personal records on the team this year.” 

Junior Jenna Amrhein broke a school record this season with a 15’ 4” long jump on April 28 during the UCBAC Championships. Amrhein talks about her experience on the team, “I love the social aspect of the team because everyone is so nice and supportive, you also always get to meet new people. I meet people from other schools and have the opportunity to create bonds with them as well.”

“The season was pretty good, I had a personal record almost every week. I was just sick but I am excited to be back in time for regionals next week,” says junior Aiden Freeland. Freshmen Grace Bauer and Natalie Barndt talk about their experience as new members. “I really like the track team, everyone is really nice and there are a lot of great people. I have just moved here and doing track has helped me meet more people in the school,” Barndt states.

Bauer adds, “Track is a good opportunity, compared to other sports it is more personal. Although you are with other people your times only reflect on you and not others, it makes you always want to improve.”

The team has the MPSSAA Championships coming up on May 19 and on the 26. Amrhein states about this, “we have been training hard since our last meet to prepare us for regionals. I am super excited to compete in four events and hoping to make it to states.”