Experts unsure on return next fall; Students wonder about their learning style

Lillian Weatherman, Reporter

This school year was a little different from the rest, of course. We have been virtual in our school year all the way up till this March and April. But most students are already questioning next school year. Public health officials as well as school administrators are unsure what will happen between now and next September.

Alyssa Edwards, sophomore, said that she thinks that next school year will be better. “I feel that there’s had to be a lot of changes made to adjust to the corona situation,” Edwards continued by saying that she believes that the school was not prepared fully for kids to attend school again. But she believes that the school will be more organized and prepared for students next year. “It will be much easier for teachers and students next year.”

Eili Klein, an associate professor in the department of emergency medicine with John Hopkins University says that he feels “certain” that states will open fully next fall. “We will probably be approaching normalcy.” Willow Bernhardy, sophomore, says that she thinks we will still be wearing masks but feels that people will be “less socially distanced,” she feels like it will go back to normal but not fully. “I think we will all still be nervous a little about the virus. I would hope they would give Covid vaccines at school and make it affordable to all.” 

“The issue that I see is that there might be a small outbreak in school that might cause issues in coming back,” says sophomore Jonathan Coale. He went on with saying that he thinks it’s going to be like this school year but half go in and half stay home. “But things will go back to normal as time goes on.” Coale explained. Coale also said that he thinks that students will be more comfortable coming back next year than this year and hopes that the COVID rate will decline. 

Kristen Kovacevich sophomore, says “personally I am not a fan of school right now,” Kovacevich explains that school can be “stressful” trying to learn and follow COVID rules at the same time. She continues with saying “I think next year might be full capacity and we will still have to wear a mask.” The sophomore ended with hoping that next school year may be the same with masks but hopefully more normalcy.