Constructive criticism plays important role in success

DANNY GALLO, Reporter

Struggling with perfectionism is a universal feeling for students all across North Harford High School. On a poll made on Instagram, out of  150 students, 67 percent reported that taking constructive criticism is stressful for them. Out of those 67 percent, 60 percent reported not knowing how to healthily handle constructive criticism.

Mr. Wardle, Algebra II teacher, shares what constructive criticism means to him. He states that “There’s no shame in being exactly what we are- human beings. It means we’re imperfect and we have things that we can get better at,” says Wardle. 

The teacher also explains that taking feedback can be less than listening to what others have to say, and more “an opportunity for us to learn and improve ourselves,” and that it is very important “to have a growth mindset.”  

Wardle also touches on the fact that it is not only students that are struggling with this topic. His experiences tell us that “There’s plenty of adults who aren’t open for feedback either,” says the teacher. He also shares his belief on adults struggling with this issue, “once someone is old, you would think that at some point they would have picked up on some things,”. 

His advice to students and adults out there struggling with taking feedback is to “Try and see it for what it is because it’s not a personal attack.” 

Sophomore Kai Lein also has their personal experiences on what taking others’ advice means, and how age affected their feelings. They state that “a few years ago I would take it harder, but now I realize that the other person is not saying ‘you suck!’, but rather ‘hey, you’re not awful at this, but this is how you can do better,” declares Lein. 

To expand, the Sophomore agrees with Wardle, “Try not to take it to heart. They’re trying to help you improve on the skills that you already have for that specific thing you’re trying to achieve,” states Lein.

The word that goes around in the world is that nothing can be perfect. Many argue that perfection can be subjective. As talked about by both the student and teacher, some people are just more experienced, whether that is through aging, experiencing life, or even taking advice from those who are in their lives. Both Lein and Wardle agree that it is important to all to listen to others’ advice to be able to grow as human beings.