Seasonal hair dyeing Students are eager to change hair color

Delaney O'Neil, Reporter

Whether students are dyeing their hair professionally or themselves, change in color often stems from boredom and the shifting seasons. Many North Harford students find ways to update their style by continually dyeing hair and experimenting with different colors. 

Some NH girls get highlights routinely, including sophomore Emma Quick. Quick says, “I normally get highlights and lowlights and either normal blonde or platinum. I get my hair done every 4-5 months and I ask for full highlights.”

Similarly, freshman Brooke Carter says, “I usually get full blonde highlights and I get it done every 6 weeks.” Carter changes her hair in the winter seasons saying, “I go darker because the sun is not as strong to give hair natural blonde highlights. I ask for only top highlights or I blend the highlights more.”

Junior Claire Johnson also goes darker in the winter, but changes color without dyeing her hair. Johnson says, “I usually dye my hair lighter in the summer and get blonde highlights. In the winter I let my natural color grow out, which is darker.”

Besides highlighting hair, students also experiment with different colors out of boredom. Senior Luke Phillips says, “I dyed my hair because I got bored and it gave me something to do. At first it was really cool because it was something different, but I eventually dyed it back to my natural color because I thought it would look better.”

According to Hollee Wood Hair, 37% of women dye their hair at home. Sophomore Anna Deveno says, “I usually use box dye, specifically Arctic Fox, but if I were to bleach my hair I would go to the hair salon because I don’t know how to use bleach.” Likewise junior Reese Lynch recently got blonde highlights and says, “I have tried every single color and the only one I haven’t tried is blonde and it gave me something new to do.”

Despite the enjoyment of switching hair colors, dyeing hair alters the protein structure leading to hair loss, according to Healthline. Students use unique products to keep hair healthy and the color prominent. 

Quick says, “I use purple conditioner to help not deteriorate the color and protects hair from well water.” Phillips also says, “my natural color was so dark that I couldn’t keep it toned, so I used purple shampoo.

Hair masks and oils help to moisturize and nourish hair, according to Healthline. Carter says, “I use natural hair masks that include vegetables, like avocado and hair oil.” Johnson also says, “I use heat protectant and Oplex.”