Stitching together debate over ripped jeans; Teachers, students button up opinions

MEGHAN KALCK, SSC Editor

Ripped jeans. Are they fashionable or not? Teachers and students have pretty diverse views about people wearing ripped jeans.

“Ripped jeans owe their origins to their close cousin, distressed jeans, which became hugely popular during the late ’70s, when the Punk-rock moment was unraveling globally,” according to indianexpress.com. 

They were created by a man named Loeb Strauss,  a German businessman who changed his name to Levi and founded the famous denim brand “Levi’s,” according to dailymail.co.

Stars such as Kim Kardashian, Jennifer Aniston, and Gigi Hadid and many more  have been seen wearing their favorite ripped jeans in the past.

Junior Hannah Olschewske is a fan of the jeans that have the smaller holes in the jeans but some variations of the holes such as the ones that are ripped from “top to bottom,” or have some of the back parts of your leg exposed are not as “fashionable,” because they make a person look like they need to buy some new jeans.

“Not all distressed jeans are worn as a fashion statement,” according to apparelsearch.com, they were simply a result of “over wearing,” and prior to the 1970’s they were associated with the less fortunate.

Junior Alyssa Hill is also a fan of ripped jeans, and she says that regular jeans are “plain and boring,” but having rips in the jeans add some flair and something special to the pants.

“Why would you pay more for jeans with holes in then,” says physical education teacher Justin Martinek “they’re stupid,” he also states.

“I don’t understand why you pay full price for something that looks like it has been just shredded with scissors by a kid,” says math teacher Mrs. Wenke Green. 

Sophomore Cara Dyke likes wearing the ripped mom jeans because they are “cute,” and also trendy, also “mom jeans are comfortable and they are loose,” so they do not feel tight and the rips add some extra flair to the jeans. 

Junior Hope Mullins is not a fan of the skinny ripped jeans, “they’re cute on some people but I am just not a fan of them.” 

Mullins thinks that jeans that have many many rips and are also ripped on the back of a person’s leg makes “[them] look homeless,” but she also says that people should do what they want and wear what they want even if others are not fans of them.