Destination Imagination;

Team competes in creative competition

Lira Barbalate, Reporter

Destination Imagination (DI) has one mission and vision; “to teach students the creative process and empower them with the skills needed to succeed in an ever-changing world.”
Students come to compete in the conventions by problem solving open ended challenges, and presenting their solutions.
The North Harford Oxymorons Destination Imagination team competed in a final tournament on April 1 at UMBC.
Placing fifth overall, the team competed with a total of 15 teams in the secondary level of the improvisational challenge.
The team also placed first in the Instant Challenge portion of the event, with an overall score of 97.25 out of 100.
DI is a hands-on learning system meant to foster creativity in students through open-ended academic challenges in the learning fields of STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics).
The program is also open to the fields of fine art and service learning.
Students learn work on ethics with themselves and others, respect, patience, flexibility, and a collaborative and unique problem solving process.
Five of the six members of the team attend North Harford, while one, Joey Healy, is currently attending the Science and Math Academy at Aberdeen High.
Those who attend NH are as follows: Cody Powell, Amy Hyman, Katie Poteet, Maddie Poteet, and Zack Karcher.
For many of the students who had participated since a young age, it was always seen as a way to find out more about your character and to develop social skills early, while having fun and learning at the same time.
As for senior Powell, he also had the view of “If you’re weird, it really is a good place for you.”
Powell has been part of the DI team for ten years, claiming it has helped him substantially in critical thinking skills and class presentations.
Students find difficulty in picking out a singular project that shone above the rest, as all take months of preparation.
Students start planning in the summer, and them continue to work until March when the project is performed.
Many students who had been introduced to DI plan to stick with it, but as they grow older, they find themselves preferring to be judges as opposed to the ones performing because of all that they’ve learned.
Being a part of a thing as big as DI can help any student with developing skills and character, and it has proven to continue to consistently do so, along with pulling new students joining every year.