Running from boredom; Summer projects provide energy

Jessica Fannin, Reporter

When passing by their long summer days, many students chose to start new projects. It has become popular to take on activities that would normally be impossible without the extra quality time with our houses.

For Junior Grace Herron, keeping herself sane at home led her to explore some creativity with a paint brush.  She shared that what started as a “Bob Ross painting class at Harford Community College” quickly developed into something therapeutic

Despite, “messing up [her paintings] and wasting a bunch of materials,” creating a scenic landscape on a white canvas took Herron away from all her stresses.  

As the new artist ventured into the world of mountain ranges and blue skies, she also found a way to incorporate some personal creativity infusing “boats and birds.” She said she used her talent to create works of art for her friends that were personalized to them. According to Herron, many of the masterpieces, depending on the scene, would take “about an hour,” to perfect.  

In an effort to help out her community junior Abbey Huneke helped run a food drive at her church. She said that she was there “2-3 days a week” to organize and put bags of food together assisting “anywhere from 150-300 family’s” weekly. Her project was “very successful,” as they have “recently received a grant from the county,” and “food supplied by the county.” 

She commented that the project had “no negatives.” Being able to give people a lot more food than the grocery bag portion they expect and seeing their reactions was “very rewarding,” for Huneke.  

Finally, helping her step dad build a woodshed was how Tessa Skrocki spent some of her sunny days. The junior at North Harford put up the “framing of the woodshed,” and has recently “started putting on wood siding.” 

Skroki enjoys how nice the shed looks because it definitely helps the appeal of [her] house.” A skill she acquired from her time as a builder was how to draw chalk lines for the roof which she claimed was an “interesting process.”