Art Show Returns in Person; Spotlight focuses on Senior art

DANNY GALLO, Reporter

After two years of virtual art shows, North Harford will have an in person art show in the Media Center. The show will take place on May 11th and 12th, all day. There will be no opening night, but the show will be open for anyone to come by. 

Jason Blevins, art teacher, describes the show this year as “the best darn art show we can possibly put on, given the short timeframe we have and the fewer numbers that we have to help to make it happen. Blevins explains that all of it is happening “with one less teacher in the art department, it’s hard. Three people are better than two.” 

The teacher further says that he was not aware of the possibility of an art show “until March, because of COVID” and since it was short notice, the show “can’t go as big because there is not much time.” 

The show is happening, and both Blevins and art teacher Lisa Campbell, are “gonna do what [they] can to make senior spaces in the Media Center.” For Sophomores, the teachers are “not sure where the artwork is going to go.” 

The importance of the show “focuses on seniors,” explains Blevins. Him and Campbell want to “provide a space for seniors to display their work from their high school careers.”

The teachers go on to explain why North Harford does not provide awards during the show. Campbell explains that “without making a big deal of awards, you’re able to focus on the community.” Blevins agrees with Campbell, in that the lack of trophies/awards allows the people to look back and think “look at what the student body can do.” He says that “Aberdeen used to make students vote on a piece, or their favorite artist,” and that the school would even “have judges come in.” 

Moreover, both teachers accept that “art is so subjective.” Campbell further argues that everybody “in their own way did the best that they could.” While some schools across the country give out awards for students’ artwork, both teachers agree that “it’s a double-edged sword.” She believes “it just wouldn’t be fair, and the way everybody is vocal nowadays it would be crazy.” The teacher also believes that “sometimes you can’t give an award to one person because everybody is exceptional in their own ways, both skill based and creativity based.”