Celebrating films, TV; Award shows honor talent

REESE SHOWALTER, Sports Editor

It is officially the season of award shows! These include the Golden Globes, Oscars, SAG awards, and more. These awards celebrate the films and television of the year.

Many actors, actresses, directors, and filmmakers get to celebrate their hard work from the previous year’s work.

All three of these award shows honor the top  films and television that were released in 2022

The Oscars (Academy Awards)  are taking place on March 12. The nominees for Best Picture are Top Gun: Maverick, Women Talking, Everything Everywhere All at Once, The Banshees of Inisherin, Triangle of Sadness, The Fabelmans All Quiet on the Westfront, Avatar: The Way of Water, Elvis, and Tár. 

This year the host of the Academy Awards  is going to be Jimmy Kimmel.

The ceremony will be held at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m.. This will be the 95th celebration of the Oscars. The Academy Awards is the oldest award show; it was first broadcast over the radio in 1930 and was first televised in 1953.

Freshman Lila Barnaba said, “All the girls in my family watch the Oscars together. It’s so much fun, we have ballots we fill out on who we think will win each category, and whoever guesses the most correctly gets a prize. We also have a bingo card to watch for things that happen during the show. We also get a prize if we win the bingo” 

She added, “My cousin Zoe says that it is the best day of the year, better than Christmas.”

As for the Golden Globes, they took place on Jan. 10. For films, The Banshees of Inisherin lead with the most wins, which included Best Motion Picture. This year’s Golden Globes was hosted by comedian Jerrod Carmichael.

The SAG Awards (Screen Actors Guild Awards) took place on Feb. 26. They do not have a set host; instead, they have different actors and actresses present the awards. They were held at the Fairmont Century Plaza. The movie Everything Everywhere All at Once won four of the five categories they were nominated for, which broke the record for the most wins for a single film. These wins included Cast in a Motion Picture, Male Actor in a Supporting Role, Female Actor in a Supporting Role, and Female Actor in a Leading Role.