New year, new upcoming movie releases; Disney announces upcoming films for 2021

Marvel’s WandaVision releasing in January of this year. Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany play the main characters.

Alexa Falls, Reporter

Disney is working on new movies to be released all year long including in January. North Harford students share their excitement. 

Wanda Vision, a new series starring Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda and Paul Bettany as Vision comes out on Disney Plus on January 15. The series is recognized by sophomore Julia Eakes who says, “I’m so excited. I’m counting down the days until Wanda Vision comes out on Disney Plus.”  A movie that came out on Christmas day last year, Soul, is also something Eakes is interested in watching, “I haven’t gotten the chance to see Soul yet but I’m looking forward to seeing it.” Some of Eakes’ favorite characters are, “Rapunzel and Flynn from Tangled, Moana, Tiana.” She adds, “They’re all amazing.” 

Tenth-grader Ethan Jourdan mentioned, “I was on the edge of my seat waiting for Soul to come out.” He says that it is one of his favorites, “followed by Coco.” Jourdan expressed, “their movies keep getting better and better and I’m really excited for what’s to come.” The movies Jourdan is most excited to see as of now are, “some of the older classics that I haven’t gotten around to watching like Tarzan and Mulan. I’ve never watched them.” 

Coming out in May, Marvel’s Black Widow, starring Scarlett Johansson, is another movie Eakes would like to see, “I’m super excited for the Black Widow movie that was scheduled to come out in November [now releasing in May].” Eakes says that she “enjoy[s] the action,” of Marvel movies. 

Eakes added, “I love all of the avengers so much,” but one of her top favorites would be Peter Parker played by Tom Holland. Before Holland was cast as Spiderman, two actors, Nicholas Hammond and Andrew Garfield fulfilled that role. As of now, Tom Holland is seen in five Marvel movies. 

During summer this year, Disney’s Jungle Cruise will be released, sophomore Abby Giannini says she is, “very excited even though I wish we could see them in theaters!” Giannini says she is also eager to watch Luca, a Pixar film releasing June this year. 

Giannini enjoys Disney films because, “they always have some sort of deeper meaning and lesson, and they are for everyone no matter your age. They always know how to make you feel good and happy!” She says that “Moana and Rapunzel are definitely my favorites [characters].” 

Jordan says that many things stand out with Disney movies but, “one thing I always appreciate is their choice of color. The visuals used in some of these movies are nothing short of stunning.” Eakes says that “the Disney songs and plots are very happy,” which she likes.