Students’ favorite albums, songs, music genres

Alexa Falls, Reporter

For many years, music has been a way to express your culture, feelings, and personality. The genres of music that are popular today are drastically different from genres that were popular in the past. Students share their favorite genres of music and their favorite artists. 

Genres range from pop, R&B, country, rock, hip hop, and more. Sophomore Logan Chapman says, “I really like to listen to any music as long as it puts me in a good mood.” He adds, “Mostly, I like pop and 90’s R&B.” 

Chapman mentions, “I love an artist with a powerful voice like Demi Lovato or Ariana Grande.” He says that his favorite album of Grande’s is Sweetener, and he enjoys the songs God is a woman, breathin, and no tears left to cry. Both Lovato and Grande fall into the pop genre.  

He adds “I’ve also grown a fascination recently for Lana Del Rey […] I recently found this artist named Peter McPoland, he is so good.” Del Rey is an indie rock artist and McPoland is an alternative artist. Sophomore Tatiana Gonzalez says, “I think mostly my favorite genres are R&B, pop, alternative, and indie. The lyrics and instruments [that] R&B, alternative, and indie use are really calming to me and I prefer that over anything.”

She adds, “I like pop when I’m in a bubbly mood or if I just need to brighten things up.” Gonzalez mentions, “I listen to a lot of Daniel Caesar, Summer Walker, Frank Ocean, H.E.R, all their music just has such a great feel to it, and their vocals are amazing, also ZAYN.” All of those artists fall into the R&B category.

As for pop, “I listen to mostly One Direction [and] Harry Styles, even though most of his songs wouldn’t be considered pop, they just make me feel good and happy and they’re all catchy as well.” Gonzalez mentions, “I like Arctic Monkeys, The Neighbourhood, Girl in Red, Rex Orange County, their music is just either so calming or exactly the opposite.” She adds, “The instruments and vocals can be so different and that’s what I really like.” Each of those artists are a part of the indie or alternative genre.

Sophomore Haley Ferran mentions, “I really like rock so [I enjoy] AC/DC, Queen, etc. [and] I also like popular songs.” Ferran also says she listens to songs that are popular on the social media app TikTok, for example, she likes National Anthem by Lana Del Rey because of its popularity on the app. Ferran adds, “I really do like Mother Mother,” which is an alternative rock band. Some of her favorites from them are “Hayloft, Burning Pile, Oh Ana […] A lot of their songs I do enjoy.”